Strength

“It Will Look Like a Sunset” by Kelly Sundberg was probably one of the most powerful pieces I have ever read. The pain she spoke about and the way she wrote it made it so real, she held nothing back. I thought it was especially brave of her to not only discuss what bad her husband did, but also what good he did and why she didn’t want to leave him.

There are days when I still wish he would beg me to take him back, promise to change, actually change.”

This was such a raw moment and it’s inspiring how truthful she is. She could easily have left that out and portrayed her story as one where she got out as fast as she could because she knew her worth but instead she told the truth that is more relatable than we would like to think.

The counselor at the domestic violence shelter was proud of me. So many women never get out. I didn’t feel proud. I didn’t want to get out.”

Sadly this is the reality for many people in an abusive relationship, they may start to believe that they are the problem and that they are the cause of the abuse. Sundberg was honest about how hard it was to leave her husband and about how she still loved and missed him yet still had the strength within herself to stay away.