When ever you hear stories of domestic abuse you only get a general picture. Man beats his wife. But there was something about the way Sundberg bounced from reason to memory that really paints the picture of what she actually went through. While reading this, it felt almost insulting to put it down and not read the whole thing. I could feel the desperation in her writing as it almost seemed like she was still trying to convince herself that what he did was not okay, but was what it was and not a terrible thing she had to endure. One of the first lines, and one of the last were the most powerful in my opinion. “My love for him was real, and I didn’t want to be a single mother.” is the trap women get into. Theres no time for love to truly blossom when your doing something because its whats right in the eyes of society, and not whats right for you. The last paragraph, where her mother advised her to make it work because being unhappy is better than being alone hit especially hard. Mothers are supposed to protect, and even though I cant imagine the mother knew at the time she said this that he was abusing her, the advice was probably the thing to keep her there for as long as she was.